JEREMY BRETT - A Forum for Fans & Admirers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

------

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

BBC's "Sherlock"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

BBC's "Sherlock" Empty
PostSubject: BBC's "Sherlock"   BBC's "Sherlock" EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 4:26 pm

So, as the new series of "Sherlock" is currently airing on the BBC... what do you fellow Brett fans make of this new take on Conan Doyle's stories? Cumberbatch has great respect for JB... he got a lot of the inspiration from his own Holmes from him... but is he any good?! Question Question Suspect
Back to top Go down
https://jeremy-brett.forumotion.com
jbsh

jbsh

BBC's "Sherlock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: BBC's "Sherlock"   BBC's "Sherlock" EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 10:48 am

I have read, too, that B Cumberbatch loved the work of Brett J. I watched this series with great pleasure. We may not like the implementation of Holmes in the twentieth century. But I think we can not deny the talent of this boy. We find in him many qualities I like about Jeremy Brett. I see a kind of connection between these two actors. There is no offense on my part to the work of Brett.
I watched her work out of Sherlock, which is pretty impressive. I note he plays the roles that Brett himself, to interpret. These two men do not work in the same register. But I feel a major talent and an identical investment, a passion for their characters and a lot of power in these two men. sunny
Back to top Go down
Capt. Jack

Capt. Jack

BBC's "Sherlock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: BBC's "Sherlock"   BBC's "Sherlock" EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 6:26 am

For me, the new "Sherlock" series and stories are quite interesting. Yes, it is Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, but they are not stories by Conan Doyle. They are loosley based on them but they are really stories - new stories - based in the 21st century. What the writers have done is to take the essence of the famous Consulting Detective and have him solve cases from the present day. The way of thinking is "if Sherlock Holmes were investigating the case he would do it like this". So it is quite an interesting way of thinking.

However, although I am interested and even intrigued by the story-lines and the idea of putting SH in our 21st century world, I don't like the actual series. The reason for this is B Cumberbatch himself. Yes, he does it well, and yes he admires JB's work. What I don't like about it is that for me in many scenes once CAN actually see that he has watched JB, because many of the mannerisms and actions are the same, and sometimes - for instance when he sometimes puts his index finger on his lips - it looks very much like an attempt at copying, and that for me spoils it. JB had that particular manerism anyway, and so when he did it, it looked VERY natural. I suppose one could argue that anything may look like a copy now that JB has made such an imprint as Holmes... how could anything now look original?!

Anyway that's my opinion of it, for what it is worth! Wink
Back to top Go down
jbsh

jbsh

BBC's "Sherlock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: BBC's "Sherlock"   BBC's "Sherlock" EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 2:24 pm

Quote :
I suppose one could argue that anything may look like a copy now that JB has made such an imprint as Holmes... how could anything now look original?!
I agree with part of this analysis. I noticed certain actions or attitudes (small steps, her head moving quickly without the body moves ..) That's right. It is a tribute to JBret for me rather than a copy. After Brett, Holmes's character can not be played any which way, I think. It is possible that Holmes / Brett is in the head of BC since childhood ... He said, I believe, he would not interpret the stories of Doyles. They were made and well made.
What I like, besides the fact that this actor is excellent is that Holmes has thirty years, as in the Doyle stories, the Holmes spychologique the transaction is respected and that relations with Watson are well understood. It is quite rare.
For a long time, I like this two men (Watson and Holmes). Their friendship and respect they have for each other. This is Doyle.
The interpretation of Holmes by Jeremy Brett will probably the only one. But I like the Holmes renewed, modern. It's like meeting a friend. It is a pleasant surprise. This does not detract from the original. As a child in which I find something of his father. It's nice. Although the father that I choose, basically.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BBC's "Sherlock" Empty
PostSubject: Re: BBC's "Sherlock"   BBC's "Sherlock" Empty

Back to top Go down

BBC's "Sherlock"
Page 1 of 1